Vintage Memories

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

HELP, Please!!!!!


On today's vintage piece I could use a little help.~~~I'm not sure what it is! This little piece measures 14'X36". My first thought is that it is a table runner and that's how it was sold to me. In looking at it and feeling it, I'm beginning to wonder if it's not a "fancy" tea-towel. The material is kind of coarse feeling (Almost feels like an old feed sack!) and each end is embroidered in the same pattern...Reddish/maroon flowers with blue bows. If anyone has an idea what it actually is, I would appreciate you letting me know. I bought it for re-sale in my shop and would hate to advertise it has a table runner and then have someone tell me it's a tea-towel! HA

3 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, Blogger Peggy said...

Thanks for the sweet comment on my blog and one day you might just see me at your shop and have a hard time getting rid of me! For an easy way to list your friends go to my blog and at the bottom of my friends list click on blogroll. It will take you to where you can register your blog and add as many friends as you like and its FREE! You don't even get junk emails from them. When your friends update their blog it will show beside their blog name. Mine shows the word fresh when anyone updates but you can choose whatever you wish. Its alot easier than adding them one at a time to your friends list on your template but if you want to do it that way i can help you just let me know

 
At 1:26 PM, Blogger Miss Robyn said...

it could also be an antimacassar(sp?) or commonly known as a chair back cover. Very common in England in the 40's.

 
At 1:34 PM, Blogger Cora from Hidden Riches said...

I think it is a "make-do" dresser scarf or table runner. Many times, extra fabric that was left over was used to make these things, especially if a family was not wealthy. From the looks of the simple embroidery on it, it could have been a teenage girl's practice item, put in her hope chest, and kept through the years. I do have some of these runners made from all types of fabrics -- from two towels sewn together in the middle, to long strips of damask tablecloths with the embroidery done at either end.

Just love your blog!!!!! Just as sweet as can be! Love the vintage feel here. I'm right at home!

Cora

 

Post a Comment

<< Home